There are a series of gift fairs being held now in Melbourne. The biggest by far is Reeds.
As they are all being held in the same spot for the consumer, it may as well be considered one big show, and it is huge. Over a 1,000 stands, the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre is just full as are the showgrounds.
As we have many clients in gifts using our POS software, I always check out this show. Always get ideas.
Here are some points to consider if you do decide to go.
* If you are seriously interested in gifts in your shop, it is the place to go. You will undoubtedly meet many new businesses and connect with a few existing ones. What I do like about these shows is that often you can meet the senior people in these organisations. Consider it a chance to network so come with many business cards.
* Many places have minimum orders unless you are prepared to buy big, the odds are many places will not deal with you. If you like something first say your budget on these products and say I will go up if it works and see what they say. Be prepared to walk if the answer is NO.
* The prices are generally from what I can see not terrific but they are fair. I doubt you are going to pick up real bargains. Consider the show more a chance to buy seeder stock and get ideas. If you want the good prices, you need to go on the net and go to the overseas gift shows but to do that you need a decent gift business turnover to justify it.
* You will gain an understanding of your market. See what sort of suppliers handle it and how many.
* Know your products well and know your price points. With so much stuff you need to be prepared as you do not have time. Remember with gifts you need to specialise.
* Look for new things, there are many innovative ones there. Here is my daughter looking at a balloon with lights that she just could not let go. She made me go back to see it again.
* Market day is Wednesday, that is the day many stalls will be looking to get rid of stock that they brought specially for the show. If you are going to pick up bargains at the fair that is the day, particularly if you are looking for something expensive for the house say a real Persian carpet. It may be your chance to get it at a discounted wholesale price. If so you will need to wait for the show to end to pick it up.